Tuesday, March 29, 2011

* $

The Starbucks Project

In my efforts to write a book, I have decided to do a little field work in the way of character development; The Starbucks Project. 


This is a blend of delicious beverages, comfortable seating in public spaces and my keen ability to eavesdrop like a jealous roommate and observe people from afar, making conclusions about their life based on knowing absolutely nothing of them beyond their current outfit and drink of choice, all while going unnoticed from behind my little notebook. Yes, I am creepy. Yes, I am exploiting my stalker talents for my own creative advances. Yes, it could be you, Miss Grande Non-Fat Milk Skinny Caramel Macchiato, that I'm writing about next!


As often as possible, I will visit a new Starbucks location and sit there with my little book, seek someone out with my naughty little eyes, and slander them with my presumptions about their life!


The trick will be to visit a different Starbucks each time for a change of scenery and also to broaden the scope and variety of patrons I can scheme over.


I have already written a few and I will post them in due time. Some of them are rubbish and go nowhere. Others inspire a whole series of stories. You've got to make a whole lot of rough copies before you get to something great though, right? Even some of the ones I've discarded may come back into my head with new revelations. Either way, used or discarded, it's all good practice. AND I get to creep people all day without guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment