Thursday, March 24, 2011

Choice

Don't get me wrong, I'm so very lucky and grateful for all the choices and freedom our generation has...
But maaaaaaan, F%@# choices! This is the very root of so many of our problems. We just don't know what to do with ourselves because there's so much opportunity all around us!

I can spend 40hrs a week dedicating my heart, head and soul to a particular thing and know that, if I continue with such dedication, I will most like be successful at it. But after a couple weeks, I look to my right, and BAM! there's something else incredibly alluring that I could also be successful at.

No! I say, you will not sway me from my goal, I'm dedicated! I continue another couple weeks on my original project. All the while Mr. Alluring Side Project is hanging around, invading my personal space - so rude! I begin to question my choices, wondering if I'm really happy with this goal, and if I will really feel successful at it, as much so as I would if I took on that other sneaky little idea. Then I spend another two weeks, 40hrs a week, worrying about my choices like it's my job; toiling over my own brain, through my heart, to find a sign. A couple weeks of that and then I'm just a big ol' grumpy pants, mad at myself for wasting so much time thinking and not any time doing anything...

Are you with me?

If we lived 50 years ago, yes we would have been through harder times and missed out on all this spoiling we get. I'd probably be a housewife with 6 kids, going crazy with boredom and lack of self expression, feeling pent up and taking it out on a bottle of vodka that I keep hidden under the kitchen sink where I know my husband will never look. After a few years of internalized stress, it would start to seep out and heads would turn in the hair salon as I complained about how horrible it is to have a lovely husband who provides for me. Word would get out that I was letting my thoughts out of my little red-painted lips and I would be sent to a shrink who would tell me that my parents probably abused me as a child and I'm just crying for attention. But you know... at least I wouldn't have to make decisions for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment